Friday, May 4, 2007

O...is for Olive-Onion Naan

It is May, but you wouldn't know that if you live in Northern California. All this week, we've had overcast, partly cloudy days. If that was not enough, it rained; in May. Sure, the Sun peeped magnanimously once in a while, but the winds made sure even that was short lived. Lousy weather.
With that I conclude this unsolicited weather report and get to the point of this post.

With the weather being the way it is, we needed some comforting. The kind of comforting only freshly made naan can provide. Did that mean, I ordered some from the friendly, neighbourhood, Indian-food purveyor? Naan-sense.

I came across this recipe for naan made on a pizza stone and followed it diligently it to make Olive-Onion Naans. The only change I made was in the the kind of flour used. I used white, whole-wheat flour. No, that is not an oxymoron. When I first saw this at Trader Joe's, it seemed too gimicky. But when I noticed the brand: King Arthurs, I just had to try it out.


The naans were just wonderful. The pizza stone made them 'Crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside' as my youngest tyke said borrowing words from her favourite Food Network hostess.

The colour was light-brown, somewhere between the white of the all purpose flour and the brown of whole wheat flour.

The texture, though, was just like that of whole wheat flour.

We were plenty comforted.



Comforted enough to try something else, Olive Bites.



As the oven was already cranked up, I wrapped puff pastry around some olives (I used regular black olives and green olives stuffed with garlic) to make these two-bite delights. These baked for about 10 minutes in a 350F oven. The salty olives with the flaky puff pastry....just delicious.














These Olive-Onion Naans and the Olive-bites now go to Nupur's A to Z of Indian Vegetables.

**Update**: fixed the link for the naan recipe.

 
Add to Technorati Favorites